Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Dont go driving at night

I have learned that driving late at night is not a good thing if you want to not get pulled over!  As CC told me, if you're driving around at 3 in the morning, chances are, they will find a reason to pull me over, even if it's petty. 

Which brings me to this: I don't like that.  I don't like that if I'm driving and I possibly forget to signal my turn, and no one is around to need to know I'm turning, then I'm going to get pulled over.  Just because they need to "investigate".  Seriously?  Or maybe I didn't know my license plate light is out.  I get pulled over.  However, if I were to do the same thing in the daytime, I probably won't be bothered (unless I'm doing some other crazy thing!) 

Now I understand that CC is in FTO right now, and he's needing to learn different things, BUT, this is supposedly the way to do it on night shift.  I don't know how I feel about that.  (Not that there's anything I can do about it!)

Oh well.  8 more nights on night shift.

5 comments:

  1. I think part of that has to do with the fact that being out at 3 am is a little suspicious in itself. So to make it legit to check it out the cops will pull you over for anything they can. Then once they see you're not some nut they will let ya go.

    My parents delivered a paper in our small town at like butt thirty early every morning. With in a week call the cops knew who they were, and knew that they drove nuts throwing stuff out the window. No one ever pulled em over. (My dad was a C.O. so they knew what was up) But after my dad quit the S.O. a new rookie pulled him over and started to ask all kinds of very strange questions like "What are you doing?" My dad smiled and said "Um, what does it look like I am doing?"

    Anyway, who just goes out driving at 3 am? Unless it is someone the cops know has business to do at 3am the person seems suspicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are a lot of things my husband tells me, too, that I "don't know how to feel about," to quote you. :) I think he'd rather I didn't question the way cops do things but I can't help it--it's a normal response to ask questions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should absolutely not feel weird about this at all. As was previously mentioned- being out at 3am is suspicious enough in and of itself. 5oh has found drugs, gang members, stolen property, DUI's etc for these simple stops at 3am. (Lets not forget both times Ted Bundy was stopped it was for failure to obey simple traffic rules). No cop wants to be writing tickets that late in the night anyways- they are just looking for "bad guys".

    I used to be a bartender when we were in college which means i would be driving home at 3 & 4 am all the time. But the few times I was stopped I simply told the officers what I was doing (driving home from work) and they let me go.

    I always think its interesting when people (not you) get bent out of shape for being contacted/ stopped/ searched by the police. If you're not doing anything illegal: THEY WILL LET YOU GO. The only people who need to worry about being contacted are criminals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello!
    I am about to be a wife of a cop and and I was wondering if I could emaily ou with some questions? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally agree with Yellow and 5ohWifey. I do still question my dh about certain procedures after almost 10 years. But they have very good reasons for everything they do and it is for your (community) safety and theirs.

    ReplyDelete